Lingerie and sleepwear are worn right next to your skin, so choosing fabric for these projects is very important. After all, you don’t want to itch or deal with undergarments that cling to the other layers of your clothing.
While there are plenty of different fabric options to choose from when sewing lingerie, the key is to consider how you plan to wear the garment and find the option that’s the most comfortable for your body. Here are just a few different fabric options to consider next time you’re sewing lingerie or sleepwear.
Silk is a difficult fabric to work with since it slides all over the place. But it certainly makes for some luxurious lingerie and sleepwear! Silk is also a great choice for slips, especially in cold weather, because the silk can be warmer than a lot of other fabrics that let air seep in.
If you are using silk (or any other slippery fabric) for your project, check out these tips for stabilizing the fabric so it doesn’t slide all over the table.
No, I’m not talking about that itchy lace that leaves rashes on your skin. There are plenty of lace options out there that are smooth and comfortable. For lingerie, look for lace that has a bit of nylon or spandex in it so that there’s a little bit of stretch.
Lace has a good reputation in the world of bras because lace holds its shape better than most other fabrics. Knits, for example, tend to stretch out over time. But lace will take a little longer, especially if you buy a high-quality lace.
Lace can be used as the main fabric, but it can also be used as a trim or an applique to embellish your lingerie. If you’re using it for a trim, be sure to stick with something lightweight so it doesn’t weigh down the garment.
We traditionally think about using woven fabric for things like lightweight lounge pants and boxer shorts, but we don’t often think of it when we think of lingerie. However, woven fabrics like cotton are a perfectly fine choice for lingerie, too; just remember to place the pieces on the bias when you cut the pattern to give the fabric some extra stretch.
Cotton is especially desirable in the summer when you need a breathable, lightweight layer under your clothing. I own a cotton slip that is my go-to on steamy days. I love it because it is light and doesn’t cling to my skin like other fabrics do.
To make the Bambi Soft Bra pictured above, Craftsy blogger, instructor and pattern maker extraordinaire Christine Haynes cut a seersucker on the bias, but you could also use a jersey or lace.
Download our FREE Success with Sewing Lingerie guide to learn how to sew the cute bra pictured above, plus enjoy bonus tutorials for how to sew panties and a half-slip.
Since lingerie like panties and pajama pants usually have an elastic waist, it’s important that they have the right amount of stretch so you can slip them on and off without tugging them too much. Knits work well in these situations because they offer a good amount of stretch. Be aware, though, that not all knits have the same amount of stretch. You’ll need to keep that in mind when choosing a size for lingerie and sleepwear.
When you’re shopping for lingerie knits, don’t limit your choice to jersey. There are plenty of other knits, like tricot, that are also good options.
Flannel is ideal for comfy pajama pants and even a pajama set. Flannel is definitely an option for the Hit the Hay Pajama Pants pattern pictured above. One advantage of flannel is that it often comes in fun prints, so you can choose anything from plaid to your favorite sports team.
Velvet can be used for sewing an entire garment, sure, but it can also serve as an embellishment or trim. Velvet ribbon is perfect for a fancy bra strap, and small velvet bows are the perfect embellishment for lingerie.
If you’re considering velvet as lingerie that will be worn under your clothing, think twice. Velvet is a bit bulkier than the other fabrics listed here, so it might not be the best option for layering.
Lingerie for Romantic Occasions
No matter how much your man loves you, first of all he always appreciates your creativity and enthusiasm in the way you dress. No matter what he says about your look, deep in heart he always imagines you undressed, in lingerie in a romantic atmosphere. To keep your beloved one close to you and astonish him with your sexuality, pay attention to your lingerie first of all. Even if you think that you have already become two close creatures that have everything in common and can feel quite comfortable at the presence of each other, never lose control over yourself and appear in an inappropriate look in front of him. Men remember every mistake for a long time. Keep the pulse and follow your lingerie wardrobe, refreshing it every now and then.
When choosing lingerie keep in mind that it should correspond to your man’s taste and preferences as well. Do not think about yourself only. Feel free to take any extraordinary, transparent lingerie to impress your man.
For a romantic evening take something really appealing. A corset with a string of red color is a classical choice. You can also take push up bras regardless of the bra size, since there is going to be only the two of you. If your bust is small then try to switch the attention of your beloved onto other parts of the body, like your legs. For these take stockings with garters, that takes a man’s head off. Spend much time on the correct choice of this special set and spend an unforgettable night with your beloved.
It’s also important to pay attention to the way you wear and store your lingerie pieces, if you want to make them last longer. Keep in mind that quality, good lingerie is the number one confidence booster! So don’t economize and go for the best only, as you really deserve this.
Womens Lingerie Sleep Shirt
- This sexy long sleeve pajamas for women features a deep neckline with a collared trim, adjustable cuffs,...
- The boyfriend style sleepshirt / babydoll is also perfect as a comfortable nightwear, christmas pajamas,...
- This lingerie robe very attractive and hot for drawing attention from your lover. Also a ideal gift for...
- Bust: (M) 38-42inches, (L) 42-44inches, (XL) 43-45inches, (XXL) 44-47inches
- Model Informations: Height: 175cm, Waist: 61cm, Bust: 90cm, Hip: 90cm. She wore M size in the pictures.
- Elegant solid color design kimono robe, lightweight and comfortable.
- Short sleeve v neck silk robe with adjustable & removable sash tie closure for comfortable fit.
- Perfect for weddings, loungewear, gift for the bride, bridesmaids, or everyday wear.
- Rest yourself in this gentle soft silky pure color short kimono robes after a long day work.
- This M is a little smaller than us size M, XL fits M-XL.
- A "must" item for your sexy wardrobe.
- Made of high-quality material, elasticity and comfort. ( Added an elastic band on the lace, seem to be...
- Ladies' sexy lingerie is very attractive and hot to draw attention from your lover and have fun with this...
- Package Included - 1 X Sexy See-through thong / bikinis.
- S=US(4-6) waist 26-27.5" / M=US(8-10) waist 28-29"/L=US(12-14) waist 30-31" / XL=US(14-18) waist 32-33"
- 90%Nylon 10%Spandex
- Style: Formal dresses for women, Bridesmaid dresses, Maxi dresses, Mother of the bride dress, Vintage...
- Feature : Slim Fitted, Knees Length, suit for Party, Prom, Wedding, Formal / Business Occasions, Casual...
- Bust : (M)33-35 inches,(L)35-37 inches,(XL)37-39 inches,(XXL)39-41 inches
- Our model: Height: 175 cm, Waist: 61cm, Bust: 90cm, Hip: 90cm, she fits M in this dress.