Alternative medicine Lower Blood Pressure Naturally
Although diet and exercise are the most appropriate tactics to lower your blood pressure, some supplements also may help lower it. However, more research is needed to determine the potential benefits. These include:
- Fiber, such as blond psyllium and wheat bran
- Minerals, such as magnesium, calcium and potassium
- Folic acid
- Supplements or products that increase nitric oxide or widen blood vessels (vasodilators), such as cocoa, coenzyme Q10, L-arginine or garlic
- Omega-3 fatty acids, found in fatty fish, fish oil supplements or flaxseed
While it’s best to include these supplements in your diet as foods, you can also take supplement pills or capsules. Talk to your doctor before adding any of these supplements to your blood pressure treatment. Some supplements can interact with medications, causing harmful side effects, such as an increased bleeding risk that could be fatal.
You can also practice relaxation techniques, such as deep breathing or meditation, to help you relax and reduce your stress level. These practices may temporarily reduce your blood pressure.
When it comes to natural remedies for high blood pressure, there are many options available, including ones related to diet, exercise, and other lifestyle factors. There are also several supplements that safely and effectively lower blood pressure naturally. Here are some of the ones I recommend.
- Coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10) is one of the most important nutrients for the cardiovascular system because it is involved in cellular energy production and is a powerful antioxidant. Supplemental CoQ10 also has been found to lower blood pressure naturally. In one double-blind placebo-controlled study, 46 men and 37 women with systolic hypertension were given 60 mg of CoQ10 or a placebo twice a day. After 12 weeks, there was a very impressive average reduction in systolic blood pressure of 17.8 mm Hg in the group taking CoQ10.
- Omega-3 fatty acids EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid) and DHA (docosahexaenoic acid) are important for overall cardiovascular health. And, more specifically, research has shown that increased consumption of omega-3s can lower blood pressure naturally. Cold-water fish, squid, and krill are the most abundant sources of omega-3 fatty acids. Because most of us don’t get enough omega-3s in our diet, I believe it is critical to take omega-3 supplements that contain fish, squid, or krill oil (or a combination of these sources).
- Olive oil is well-known for its cardiovascular benefits. But olive leaves have also recently emerged as a highly touted boon to health. They contain a substance known as oleuropein, which has been demonstrated to boost the immune system and to also lower blood pressure naturally. Benolea is a special patented olive leaf extract that is standardized for oleuropein and has been clinically shown to inhibit the enzyme that causes blood vessels to constrict. That’s why I recommend looking for products that contain Benolea olive leaf extract, and use as directed.
- Balance3 is a Chinese herbal remedy that contains several herbs (all-heal flower, chrysanthemum flower, honeysuckle flower, notoginseng root, water fairy flower, shiitake mushroom, and pagoda tree flower) that work together to dilate blood vessels and improve blood flow. In fact, at Whitaker Wellness, we have found that it rapidly and consistently lowers blood pressure in the majority of patients who give it a try.
- Grape seeds contain compounds called polyphenols that provide numerous health benefits—including the ability to lower blood pressure naturally. More specifically, research has shown that a special grape seed extract, called MegaNatural BP, helps relax the smooth muscle tissues in the blood vessels. So if you want to give grape seed extract a try, for best results, look for products containing MegaNatural BP, and use as directed.
- POTENCY BACKED BY SCIENCE & RESEARCH: Our Blood Pressure Formula has been exclusively formulated by...
- 100% QUALITY HERBS ONLY: Made in USA, this product contains more than 14 top-quality, all-natural herbs...
- RIGOROUS PRODUCTION STANDARDS: Our herbal extractions are up to 15 times more concentrated. This product...
- KEY INGREDIENTS: Achyranthes Bidentata Extract, Chrysanthemum Flower Extract, Cortex Lycii Extract,...